Monday, November 4, 2013

DOOR COUNTY





     Door County Peninsula Map



       While on assignment in Wausau, Wisconsin, I drove to see one of the most beautiful places located in this state called Door County. I felt like I was discovering a well kept secret of the Midwest, a retreat for the locals to get away from their everyday lives. This was the first time I had seen Michigan lake and how beautiful it is with it's clear cool blue waters.  With only a weekend to explore, I didn't want to waste a minute of my time and miss out on anything. I took off with my camera to capture everything that Door County had to offer.

    My first stop was at WhiteFish Dunes, 867 acres of national state park full of nature walks, trails, swimming, canoeing, and boating. This is one of the most beautiful parks located in the U.S. In the wintertime you can do some skiing on the 8 mile path located in the park, but summertime is by far the best time to visit. I sat on the rocks for hours and looked out at the beautiful clear water of Michigan lake. I could of stayed there forever by myself meditating in peace.


      Door County has a total of 12 lighthouses. This is just one of the lighthouses that I visited and took pictures of while I was here for the weekend. It's located on Cana Island just North of Bailey's Harbor. When I went out to take pictures of this lighthouse not a soul stood on the island. Just me and my camera were there standing at the edge of Lake Michigan looking up at the 89 feet tower that was first built in 1869. After awhile I started to feel weird being all by myself on this deserted little island and felt it was time to move on. 




                       Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin


   This beautiful red lighthouse is located at Sturgeon Bay ship canal pier, built in 1882 in order to help ships avoid the dangerous passage to Green Bay called "Death's Door." Today the U.S. Coast Guards stationed at Sturgeon Bay maintain the lighthouse.

    This very colorful warehouse located in Ephraim, Wisconsin was originally built in 1850. This barn looking building has been the backdrop of many engagement and wedding photos. The Anderson warehouse is famous for all the handwritten graffiti covered walls from land and water visitors to the dock. I was excited to take pictures of this famous building while I was there. I was very proud when one of my photos I took made it to the front cover of Healthcare Travelers Magazine in the June 2013 issue.


  Front Cover of Healthcare Travelers Magazine: June 2013




    Door County is famous for all the cherry orchards and the many different productions of cherry wine that it makes. There is seven different wineries located here on this tiny peninsula. Not only will you find cherry wine, but cherry salsa, cherry pies, and chocolate covered cherries. Never was a fan of cherries until I came to Door County and unexpectedly I fell in love.

     This place reminds me of a small Nantucket, only it's located at the peninsula of Wisconsin. A great weekend get away for Wisconsinites and those that live in Chicago. I'm so blessed to have found this little piece of heaven not so far away from my assignment in Wausau. Going to make sure I get back there one day soon. 








       Pictures From my Door County trip in 2012






 

 



 

 





 
 
 








 





No comments:

Post a Comment