Saturday, October 5, 2013

ALBUQUERQUE BALLOON FESTIVAL


So it's time again here in New Mexico for the Albuquerque balloon festival. I am heading up there next weekend for the last showing. I am on assignment in Las Cruces and will be getting up at 4am to drive the three hours to see the rest of the balloons take off in the air. Last year was the first time I got to see this spectacular show. Actually the main reason I took an assignment here. More then 750 balloonist coming from all over the U.S. show up here every October to take part in this festival. I took some amazing photos of this event last year and can't wait to catch the show again. 


You have to get up pretty early to get photos of the balloonist getting their balloons ready for the early morning ride. Here I was at 5:00 am in this huge football field walking around taking photographs of this event without much sleep. But I am glad I didn't miss out on the big take off of the first balloons. It was a thrill to see the balloons up close and to see how much work it takes to do this event every year.


I think the Elvis ballon was a hit with everyone. But who doesn't love Elvis? It was amazing to see all the character balloons out flying above the crowd and the kids loved spotting there favorite cartoon characters in the sky. 


Up up and away goes over 700 balloons flying all over Alburquergue, New Mexico. You could see the balloons flying away from hundreds of miles. You really could just wait outside the gates and still see the show. 


With bright colored balloons in every direction, you could not take a bad picture. I think I took over a hundred shots while I was here last year. 


I can't wait for next weekend to see the festival again. This time I won't be there as early, but it will still be an awesome show and something you shouldn't miss if your ever in New Mexico. 


No comments:

Post a Comment